Thursday, April 5, 2012

I'm a Professional

In May, I'll have been an Ophthalmic Technician for 3 years. I think it's about time I get certified in my profession, don't you? Well, the good news is that I'm almost there. On Saturday, I will take the Certified Ophthalmic Assistant exam. It's 3.5 hours and it's pass/fail and I find out the results at the end of the test.

To qualify for the exam you can have to:
- work with an Ophthalmologist for a year
- take the home study course and pass an open book test with about 150 questions
If you don't have the work experience, you can enroll in a formal training program. For example, there's one at Georgetown that will teach you everything you need to know in 23 months and cost you over $15k. Note: if you are interested in this field, there are plenty of entry-level positions that offer on-the-job training, a educational program is not necessary.

Anyway, I passed the open book. You only have to get 80% correct so it wasn't a big deal. Then I had to get a Ophthalmologist to sponsor me and register for the $300 test. The best part is, I won a scholarship to take my test.Yippee!

This past week, I've been studying in my spare time. Tomorrow night will be for last-minute cramming review.

Hopefully all this will be worth it. I mean, Mitra Irdmusa, COA looks kinda cool, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment