Sunday, February 27, 2011

SoIL: Latin Style

Yesterday, I finally met the girls of the "Southern Illinois Ladies Club." This is a social group for ladies who are out of college but want to make friends and enjoy all that Southern Illinois has to offer. I was excited for the chance to make some girlfriends since right now my social circle is mostly Murphy boys (Brandon's friends).

We met up for Cuban food in Marion at A "Lill" Taste of Cuba. This was a cute and colorful but small building. We ordered at the counter and ate in a side hallway by the bathroom. They only have 3 small tables inside but it worked for the 5 of us. I ordered a beef and cheese empanada, fried plantains and black beans and rice. My meal with a soda was about $9.50. It was delicious. When I get sent to work in Marion again, I think I might order some takeout for dinner so that Brandon can try it.

The conversation was really good. We all took turns talking a little bit about our lives, places we like to eat and shop and other activities in the area. After dinner we headed to Tres Hombres in Carbondale for drinks. I had a $4 margarita. They also gave us complimentary chips and salsa but we were all too full to have any.

At 8pm we headed over to Longbranch Coffeehouse house for a $5 salsa lesson. When we arrived there were 6 girls and 6 guys. As the lesson started more latecomers came to join us - all men! Probably 18 guys to 6 girls. Needless to say, we girls got a lot of dancing in. From 9-midnight they play salsa, merengue and bachata music so everyone can free dance. Really fun!

We ended our night with drinks at The Cellar. Lovely ladies! We already have an outing planned for Tuesday. Ok, back I go to watching the Oscars.

No comments:

Post a Comment