Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lights Fantastic Parade

Last night was Carbondale's Lights Fantastic Parade. I went downtown with Jarrod, Joey and Dana to watch the parade from South Illinois Ave (across the street from Cristaudo's). Luckily, we had much better weather than tonight - ie not rainy. It was the parade's 21st year. I think this has got to be the original float:
Doesn't "lights fantastic" sound like something out of the 50s? There were several firetrucks covered in lights.
Makanda Township Fire Department
Hate to admit it, but, Rotary had a very good entry:
Probably also from 1990

There were some more unique entries:

Spaceship
Darth Vader
I mean what's a Christmas parade without Darth Vader? (Courtesty of the SIU Order of Jedis)
This train had great timing. As it came by, the actual train rolled into town and added a great soundtrack of tracks rumbling and horn honking. There were several marching bands playing Christmas music. I think the kids had fun decorating themselves and their instruments.
And finally, the man of the hour:
Santa!

Carbondale did a good job with the parade. They actually turned out the street lights along the parade route. I was bummed they didn't throw out any candy canes and I did get a bit frozen after sitting outside for two hours. It was no Williamsburg Grand Illumination or Annapolis Boat Parade but, I'm glad I went. 'Tis the season!

Today was mostly a day of studying. I got the first season of Dexter from the library. It's freaking me out. The crime solving reminds me a lot of Veronica Mars and the quirky music and plot twists remind me of Weeds. I'm hooked. Ok, time to make tacos for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment