Monday, February 20, 2012

Sunday Dinner

Since I've been away from home for so long, I haven't had my fill of my dad's cooking. I figure it's time I learned how to make the stuff for myself. So, the last time I was home I copied some recipes from this Iranian cookbook. The recipe was for Celery Khoresh (Khoresh-e karafs). Basically, celery and beef stew with parsley and mint. Two and  half hours later, look at how it turned out:
Labor of love! But so worth it.
As in any proper Sunday dinner, I made another entree (also, for my picky fiance). I grilled some chicken drumsticks on my grill pan using this simple marinade. I think the Dijon mustard added a lot.

All together now:
A great meal. Don't be afraid of the green.

I will admit, I cheated and made Minute Rice. The meal was also missing a cucumber yogurt salad. But don't worry, my next project is to make kabobs with authentic basmati rice. In the meantime, if you are looking for more Persian food check out My Persian Kitchen.

Celery Khoresh
Serves 6

2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 lb stew meat, cut in 1 inch cubes
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
5 stalks of celery, chopped into bite sized pieces
3 cups chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
squeeze of lime juice

1. In a dutch oven, brown onions and meat in 3 tbs oil. Add salt, pepper and turmeric. Pour in 2 cups water. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 min.
2. In a frying pan, fry the chopped celery in 3 tbs oil for 10 min, stirring occasionally. Add chopped parsley and mint and fry for 10 min longer.
3. Add the mixture of celery and herbs and the lime juice to the meat. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1.5 hours longer.
4. Taste the stew and season accordingly with more salt and pepper. Serve hot over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment